Wednesday 27 February 2019

The award winning Kenyan artist Marie J is set for greater heights in her music career and her passion for philanthropy



Marie J is not your typical artist, she has been on the front in influencing positive change in our community. The Kenyan songstress recently won the award for best influential female artist at the E360 awards gala. She is resolute about succeeding in the music industry not only continent-ally but also globally. Here is our brief interview with the talented and delightful artist.
1. Hello Marie J, kindly introduce yourself?   
1. I’m Marie Njoroge or also known to some as Mariej which is my stage name.
2. How long have you been doing music professionally? 
2. I started my music journey last September 2018.  
3. When did you discover your passion for music?
3. I discovered I had passion for music since I was a Sunday school girl,
I won a lot of certificates as the best solo verse /singer. However, I
had never thought of becoming an artist though I loved
singing even when in bathroom or when doing home chores.

 4. The music industry is very competitive, how do you plan on staying
relevant?
4. Yeah I know music industry is very competitive but am here to stay
because I love challenges as they make me stronger.
5. How has the experience been for you in the music industry?
5. The experience I have so far I great because am learning more about the industry when
am called for interviews or even club performances but at the moment
am at this stage of marketing my brand. I am also an accountant and producer at Italian media Africa Desk under UN and my job is very demanding though am happy to have a busy lifestyle even as a mother too but gladly I am able to balance and juggle between all responsibilities.
6. Do you think Kenyan music could rank higher in the African music
industry or have we reached our peak?
6. Yes, Kenyan music could rank even higher though something I have noticed here is that people are too selfish and they don't want to support Kenya music as most of our
people listen to foreign music and if we all come together and support
Kenyan music then our music will be ranked as the best in whole of
Africa as it depends on us to push our music as bongo and naijas do. I’m
sure if I start doing my Kenyan music in Europe ( which am  planning
to do ) then most will support my music more than if I was in Kenya.
7. What can be done to improve our industry? 
 7. I believe better structures for marketing and financing music & entertainment projects as well as increased local support.                        
8. How can one access your music ?
So far you can access my music from YouTube but am trying to push my
music to many other platforms as am still learning about the industry
and how everything works even on skiza I was given opportunities
though I don't rush to something that I do not know much about.
9. What can fans expect from you this year? 
9.My fans are expecting great music as am sure I will make them proud of me
as I did on Sunday at the e360 award gala  where I won the award as
the best influential female artist and hopefully that’s just the beginning of many more to come.


10. What are your other interests apart from music?
10. My other interest is my job as well. I am also philanthropist and currently
doing charity work and that is an orphanage tour called
Mariej orphanage tour where we are visiting the #innocentsouls with my
group of #kindhearts every first weekend of the month , so far we are
on our third tour that will be on 2nd of March at angel care
children's home at waithaka. Am doing the tour because I have given my
1acre of land at gilgil for charity whereby God willing by Dec 2019 we
will start building our orphanage now am just on learning about
orphanages.

11. How can u be reached on social media?
11.You can get me on my handle> mariej_254 in all social platforms
though  Facebook mariej Twitter: @mariej_254.               


3 comments: